May 6, 2012

Raptor Release

On Saturday, me and Mom had some special time together.  We went to Bloomington to watch a Raptor Release.  They find wounded raptors and rehabilitate them, and then when they are fully healed they release them into the wild.  It's a really big event and there were so many people there that loved birds as much as me.  Well that's impossible because I love birds more than any one on the planet but there were people pretty close to that.  They had three gates and there were some raptors in those three gates.  There were, two American Kestrels, two red-tailed hawks ( a light morph and a dark morph ), two bald eagles, a turkey vulture, a screech owl, and a barn owl.  Me and Mom took lots of pictures and I'll show you some. I measured my arm length and for a bird, my wing span is as long as as an ospreys!  Moms was an ospreys too.  I got to make a nest and the first time I put the test egg on it, the egg fell through.  Poor chick.  The second time it survived.  About and hour of waiting and talking the release started.  They released a Red-tailed hawk and an American kestrel.  I didn't know what happened to the Kestrel because it started thundering.  But the red tailed hawk got hit by a car. :(   Then me and Mom beat the heavy heavy heavy heavy heavy heavy heavy rain!  It was pouring buckets man!  We drove to eat at this restaurant called, Q cumbers.  It was really good!  Then we sprinted for the car and by time we got in the car our clothes had turned a shade darker.  We were really wet.  I love my time with Mom! :)